I’ve always hated Australia Day. It seemed a magnet for every redneck drunken racist bogan who likes to yell incomprehensible shit.
But that’s only one side of the story. Australia is just a word, not a set concept, and we get to endow it with meaning ourselves. It’s not just our government that decides, or the drunk bogans. We can also make an effort toward imparting it with more positive meaning.
So what would you like the word Australian to mean?
Here are some of the things I’d like to see: An Australian is –
- Somebody who cares for those less well off.
- Somebody who helps those in need.
- Somebody who is open to difference.
- Somebody who doesn’t judge somebody based on their race, gender, sexuality, religion.
- Somebody who looks out for the interests of people beyond themself
- Somebody who thinks there are more important things than money
- Somebody who thinks depths are more important than superficialities
- Somebody who believes in sharing our resources and wealth as generously as we can
- Somebody who chooses love over hate.
What about you?